Tuesday, May 27, 2008

wood warblers in a thousand pieces

I had a task this spring.. to identify as many warblers as I could... also to complete this warbler puzzle! Unfortunately, the puzzle did not come with a cheat sheet that identified all the species. And even more unfortunate, I don't know what some of these birds are!!


But anyway, I finished the 1,000 piece puzzle this weekend!


Here's a better picture I found on Google image search (poster version, titled Warblers of the Canopy) and here it is again with my labels:



OK Time to name those warblers!



  1. ?

  2. Blackburnian Warbler

  3. Cerulean Warbler

  4. ?

  5. ?

  6. ?

  7. ?

  8. ?

  9. ?

  10. ?

  11. Northern Parula

  12. Blackpoll Warbler

  13. ?

  14. Black-and-white Warbler

  15. ?

  16. Bay-breasted Warbler

  17. ?

  18. Golden-cheeked Warbler (not sure?)

  19. Black-throated Green Warbler

  20. American Redstart (Female)

  21. Palm Warbler

  22. Cape May Warbler

  23. ?

  24. Magnolia Warbler

  25. American Redstart (Male)

  26. ?

  27. Tennessee Warbler

  28. Black-throated Blue Warbler

  29. Prothonotary Warbler

  30. Nashville Warbler

  31. Golden-winged Warbler

  32. Yellow-throated Warbler
  33. Blue-winged Warbler

Great ... I guess that was a little harder than I thought, so I'll have to get back sometime with the rest of those ID's. In the meantime, there's another similar image out there called "Warblers of the Understory" maybe they have another puzzle! That's another hint though, the birds featured in this puzzle are all arboreal species, not ground feeders.

Here is a bonus blackburnian I drew on facebook

No comments: